Wednesday, July 6, 2011

It's official

Some of my friends and family have assured me that they would read a blog, if I created one for the next phase of life I'm about to embark upon.  So, let me begin by saying something.  It is your choice to read this blog.  It's more for me than it is for anyone else.  You may not agree with the things I say here.  And, that's ok.  But, remember, noone forced you to read this. 

Today, I learned that my adventure to East Asia over the next year is really about to happen.  In a matter of weeks, I'll be leaving.  I wasn't sure how I would feel when I realized this was really happening.  But, today, that feeling happened.  I held a copy of my flight itinerary in my hand and just looked.  I looked at the dates, times, and destinations.  And, then, I looked at the calendar.  It's weeks away.  Weeks.

Lately, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel.  Most of the time, it feels like I'm already gone.  I'll be with a group of people.  Someone will mention upcoming plans or events that will take place.  And, then, they look at me and say, "Oh, you won't be here then.  Will you?"  I'm not sure how to respond to that.  I know noone means anything by it.  But, I have to admit.  It feels a little strange.  I mean let's just be honest.  I'm not dying or going somewhere to die.  I'm just leaving for a season.  And, while I want to be here and not miss out on living life with the people I cherish most, I kinda want to be somewhere else.  I want to be there already and stop just talking about it.  I want to have a place and a purpose.  I want to not be somewhere in the middle. 

In the meantime, however, I'll take these weeks I have left.  And, instead of reading too much into what people say or what they mean by it, I'll just be.  I'll try to be in the moment.  I'll soak up every minute with friends and family.  I'll be here.  Because I know, I'm here right now for a reason.  And, when it's time, I'll be somewhere else.  Because, in case you didn't know, it's official. 

No comments:

Post a Comment