Thursday, November 24, 2011

Fruit Salad

This time of year always gets me thinking about food, of course!  The other day, I was thinking about fruit salad.  I don't know about other people's families, but I remember eating fruit salad on Thanksgiving every year.  When I was a little girl, making fruit salad was always my job.  Don't be too impressed.  Fruit salad is just cut up apples, oranges, and grapes mixed with Cool Whip.  So, there wasn't any cooking involved in making this dish.  It's just easy and good!

Most years, I made fruit salad with my Granny (my Dad's mom).  We would sit at a table and cut up the fruit together.  Some years, my Granny and my Memaw (my Mom's mom) made fruit salad with me.  And, on several occasions, I'm pretty sure I remember my Aunt 'Cil helping too.  She was my great aunt on my mom's side of the family.  Her full name was Lucille.  But, if you know anything about great aunts from Mississippi, you know it's not disrespectful to shorten their names.  That's just what she went by.

So, this year as we celebrate Thanksgiving, I'll be thinking about fruit salad.  For many years after those three wonderful women passed away, I kept making fruit salad.  But, I don't think I will this year.  Because really, it's not the fruit I miss.  It's them.  And, while it is hard not having them here with me and my family around this time of year, I am very thankful for the years I did have to spend with them.  And, I am very thankful for the memories I made with them and the impact they had on my life.  Happy Thanksgiving!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment