Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Sky diving

Well, I just want to start by saying this is the first time I have been able to access my blog.  The internet here is finicky.  And, everything on this page is in characters, except what I am typing.  So, I may not be able to update as often as I would like to.

I'm finally here, as I am sure you may have guessed.  My long journey here was not without complications.  But, it could have been much worse.  I flew from Memphis to Chicago.  From Chicago, I was supposed to have a thirteen hour flight.  But, instead, we started it off by sitting in the plane for two hours due to complications with some of the passengers.  Because of this delay, I missed my next flight.  I had to navigate an airport I had never been in and figure out how to catch the next flight out.  But, finally, I made it to East Asia.


As far as adjusting, I adjusted quickly in the physical sense.  The thirteen hour time difference between here and home is a little complicated, but my body is used to it now.  Emotionally and mentally, however, I  am not as adjusted.

Before I left, I told some of my close friends that I feel like I'm sky diving.  I just jumped.  I have no idea what I'm doing or if it's right.  Every other moment, I question whether or not I can do this.  I wonder if I am supposed to be here.  I wonder if this isn't some terrible mistake.  Maybe there has been a mix-up and I shouldn't be here.  And, although everyone else is convinced this adventure is right for me, I am still waiting to land.

Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying.  I know I am privileged to be doing what I'm doing.  I know this is an incredible opportunity.  So, right now, I am trusting that this is where I am supposed to be.  I am trusting that this may not be easy or fun.  It may difficult and painful.  The chipping away and molding that needs to be done in me will hurt.  It already does.  But, I'm trusting that I will not come back the same girl who left Memphis early one hot August morning.

As for new experiences and things I have seen, I promise many of those are coming.  And, pictures will follow as well.  Here's a quick one just for now.  I was riding on a bus today and felt something wet hit my foot.  It was a baby peeing on the bus.  Nice.  Right?  How's that for potty training?


No comments:

Post a Comment