Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A Few Firsts

Over the weekend, I decided I would be adventurous and go somewhere new - by myself.  (I know it's earth-shattering news, right?)  But, there are many issues for me when I go places alone.  I can't speak the language, have no idea what the street names are or how to pronounce them, and am generally just bad with directions.  So, anyway, I had planned to meet up with some new friends for dinner.  (The first time I've hung out with people my own age since I've been here.)  I ended up getting off the bus several stops too soon.  So, I decided I would walk down the street and try to figure out where I was.  That obviously didn't work.  I called my Brazilian mom and asked if she could help me.  Of course, I had no idea where I was or how to explain it.  She told me to hand the phone to someone, who was working in one of the stores nearby.  After thinking about it for a few minutes and how dumb I would look, I finally did just that.  I met one guy, who spoke a little English.  He was trying to buy something (poor guy).  So, he talked on my cell phone, and the lady working there talked on my cell.  I called the girls I was supposed to be meeting for dinner.  Finally, I realized two things.  The guy, who spoke a little English, had just moved to this city.  And, I should get back on the bus and keep going a little further.  I made it successfully to dinner, ate a real hamburger and fries, and had great time.

That was Saturday night.  On Sunday afternoon, I went to tutor my new student, Frank.  (That's not his real name.  All the people here give themselves American names, so it is easier for people like me to pronounce.)  It was only our third time meeting.  Frank is 15 and knows much more English than he lets on.  The first time I went to his house, his mother practically shoved me into his room.  She told Frank to speak English with me.  She wanted to close the door, but again my Brazilian mother didn't let that happen.  The second time I went to his house, I sat on the couch between Frank and his mother the entire time I was there.  His mother kept trying to understand what we were saying.  She would type words into her cell phone and show them to me in English.  She kept finding more books to help us study.  It was pretty funny.  On this, our third meeting, I still wasn't sure what I would "teach" Frank.  I tried using a book I thought would be challenging for him.  But, he knew all the answers.  Finally, we decided to use a book and video program his mother bought.  We watched an episode of the video about some American chick named Rebecca.  After the episode, I went through the corresponding section in the book.  Frank had to answer questions about the video.  It was much more challenging for him.  He said the people talked too fast.  (Welcome to my life, Frank!)

The point is this.  I am experiencing many firsts here.  I am trying to be more independent and go and do things on my own.  It is not always easy.  I do not always enjoy being the entertainment for other people around me.  But, there is something to be said for the feeling I get from actually succeeding.  It's kinda empowering.  Also, I am trying to teach English as a second language for the first time.  I have no idea what I'm doing!  But, it's fun trying.  And, really, I could care less if Frank's English improves.  I have much more important things to talk to him about.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment