Thursday, September 22, 2011

Language Barrier and Frustration

I've been going to language classes since the beginning of September.  (I realize that's not a long time.)  Yesterday, during class, I was attempting to learn the pronunciation of some new words.  I became very frustrated very quickly.  Let me try to explain.  In this language, there are many complicated things to learn.  There is a system called Pinyin.  It is equivalent to the alphabet in the English language.  Also, there are characters.  These are symbols or the actual written language.  Characters are like pictures that represent words.  Currently, I am trying to learn Pinyin.  In addition, the language is tonal.  There are four tones and one neutral tone (or so I thought).  When you read words written in Pinyin, the tone marks are written above the words.

As I was trying to learn the new words, my teacher began to explain that they are written in third tone.  But, the words are not pronounced in the third tone.  What?!?!  Hold on.  Then, why are they written to make you think you are supposed to pronounce them that way?  In the words of my teacher, "That would be too much work."  She demonstrated.  In the third tone, your voice starts at a high pitch, goes down, and back up again.  So, a long word with three third tone marks over it is very tiring to pronounce.  After she demonstrated, she said, "See.  That sounds weird.  No one will say a word like that."  Of course, this set me into a rage.  I contained myself fairly well though.  :)

The problem is that I see things in black and white.  I don't know why.  It probably has something to do with my type A personality, perfectionist tendencies, and desire for things to be neat and orderly.  It bothers me that this language doesn't always make sense.  It bothers me that its native speakers don't even understand it.  It also bothers me that I continue to keep meeting foreigners, who speak the language fluently.  Not to mention, the others who speak three and four languages fluently.  People, like that, just generally tick me off.  It irritates me how they can switch back and forth between three languages with such ease.  I feel stupid around people like this.  And, before coming here, I considered myself to be a fairly educated person.

But, this is what I know.  I need to be more patient with myself.  I need to realize that this stuff doesn't happen overnight.  It takes years of hard work and practice.  For many, it takes alot of sweat and tears.  I need to not be afraid to mess up.  I need to remember that every language has its quirks, especially English.  To me, it makes sense.  But, to most people, it is quite difficult (even for native English speakers).  And, many times, even I (the English major, English teacher, grammar guru, wanna-be writer) cannot explain it.  Sounds familiar, now that I think about it. 

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear you speak the language to me!!! You won't feel dumb next to me, promise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Thanks, Laura. I miss you tons. Thank you for all your support and encouragement. Love you.

    ReplyDelete