Friday, September 30, 2011

Nurse Jennifer

Well, that's what my dad calls her anyway.  He also calls her his other daughter.  Jennifer works in an emergency room as a pediatric nurse.  She loves children.  And, I have never known anyone, who has such a heart for working with kids.  When Jennifer meets kids, it's like she's wearing candy-scented perfume.  I'm serious.  It's crazy how children are drawn to her and how deeply she cares for them.  While I've never seen her in action at work, I can't imagine that you'd want anyone else taking care of your child.  In her job, Jennifer often meets people on the worst day of their lives.  Yet, I know she is there to comfort them regardless of the circumstances.

Me and my best friend

In addition to loving kids, Jen serves other people with a passion you won't find in anyone else.  It doesn't matter who you are or what the situation is.  You could just get sick on a trip with Jen.  And, you can count on the fact that she will lose sleep to take care of you.  You could be going through the deepest valley in your life, and Jen will find a way to help you look up out of it.  She will cook meals for you, leave flowers on your porch, write you notes, visit you in the hospital, drive long distances to see you, and do almost anything to let you know she cares.  She will be there for you in any and every way possible.  And, if you're one of her family members, you should know you basically just won the lottery.  She will be there for you like no other daughter, sister, sister-in-law, granddaughter, niece, cousin, or future-aunt.  I've seen Jennifer care for her family.  I've stood in hospital rooms, nursing homes, and memorial services with Jen.  Even when she has cared for her family until the end, she honors them in their death.  She puts her whole self into it.  She loves and serves until it hurts.

So, as Jennifer's best friend, I know what it is to know her.  She has been there for me whenever I needed her.  She has supported and encouraged me to no end.  (One blog post doesn't begin to cover it.)  She has become a part of my family.  We've lived life together.  We've gone through many difficult things together.  We've dreamed big dreams together.  I normally talk to her on a daily basis.  We spend alot of time together.  And, being here without her is very difficult.  I miss her terribly.  (Of course, she's not the only one I miss!)  It sucks actually.  I really hate that part of it.  I think about her every day.  I think of things I would tell her, if I could just pick up the phone and call.  And, really, I don't care if people think I'm pathetic for that.  You can think what you want to think.  I'll just say this much.  If you haven't met or known Jennifer, you have no place to judge me.  You don't even know what you're missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment