Friday, September 9, 2011

Elevation and Fear

For starters, I would just like for it to be known that I am VERY frustrated with the internet here.  I have lots of pictures I would like to share and tell you about, but that it is next to impossible currently.  Just to give you an idea . . . the options and headings on this page are written in a different language.  It is the fourth different language I have seen this week, including English.

This week has been an interesting one.  I had my first language class on Monday.  It was way better than I expected it to be, as most things are.  My teacher is very nice.  She is probably around my age or a little younger.  And, she is very patient with me.  She has no idea what she's gotten herself into.  :)  I will have lessons three days a week: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.  Each lesson is an hour and a half long.  I am trying it out for the month of September.  Oh yeah, I almost forgot.  I take the bus there and back by myself.  I took a bus somewhere by myself last week for the first time.  Not an amazing accomplishment, but I was kinda proud of myself.

the view from the school where I take language classes
For your free fact of the day, I thought I would give you a little lesson on elevation.  The city I am living in is much different from what I'm used to.  This city is at an elevation of 6,207 feet above sea level.  Whereas, Memphis is 331 feet above sea level.  Soooo, that explains alot about how I feel here sometimes.  It is very important to drink lots of water here.  Otherwise, you are more likely to suffer from symptoms of altitude sickness.  For me, if I don't drink enough water, I tend to feel dizzy and lightheaded.  Also, there is very little moisture in the air here.  So, your skin and hair become dry easily.  I'm sure you wanted to know all that.  :)

And, as for fear, I just wanted to say a few things about it.  Before I came here, I allowed fear to fully overwhelm me.  And, it did.  I cried so much the week before I left that it was ridiculous.  Fear had such a grip on me that I became physically ill.  My stomach was in knots, and I couldn't eat.  I couldn't even sleep.  And, if you know me, you know that's not normal.  I actually had to take a sleeping pill the night before I left.  Crazy!  But, I am here now.  And, it is not always easy.  Every day is not like a Hallmark movie.  It is often quite challenging and difficult.  But, all the fears I had before I came are gone.  None of them came true.

Fear is stupid.  It is.  Fear can paralyze a person, if they allow it to.  Fear can keep people from fully being who they are.  Fear can cause people to doubt and question.  Fear can prevent people from taking risks and doing what they know they're supposed to do.  Fear can be powerful.  But, we are the ones who give it power. 

No comments:

Post a Comment