Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Foregoing Fall

For the last few days (maybe weeks), I've been thinking about fall in Memphis.  I've reminisced over all the memories of this time last year.  And, I am missing fall.  Fall is my favorite season.  I love the colors of the trees and the crisp autumn air.  I love the crunch of leaves under your feet.  I love warm drinks and how I think they actually taste like fall.  I love the way a scarf feels around your neck.  I love bonfires and roasting marshmallows.  I love hayrides and looking at the stars.  I love carving pumpkins and seeing other people's creativity in that.  I love dressing up at the close of October and passing out candy to cute kids.

But, this year is much different than all my autumns before.  I will miss so many things.  I will miss going to the pumpkin patch with the cutest, red headed, little girl I've ever seen.  She calls me Aunt Sara.  (It's an honorary "aunt thing", but important just the same.)  I will miss taking pictures of her and stuffing a scarecrow together.  I will miss carving pumpkins with my friends.  I will miss long conversations with some of my favorite people over steaming cups of warm apple cider and pumpkin spice lattes.  I will miss planning my costume with friends for the best fall festival on earth and trying to top last year's idea.  (Please see picture to the right.  Yep, we WERE the Wizard of Oz).  I will miss so many things.

I am, however, trying to see the bright side of this.  So, do not be mislead.  I am not foregoing fall.  No, it is just different this year.  While I will miss my Memphis fall, I am determined not to miss it altogether.  This will be my first East Asian fall.  People here are already big fans of two of the official colors of fall - red and yellow.  So, that's good.  If I have to buy an Asian pumpkin to carve, I will.  If hot, spiced tea is the best drink I can find, it will have to do.  And, if I am the only one to dress up and pass out candy, it will be ok.  I am betting I can find some pretty cute kids to join in.  But, I refuse to miss fall.


No comments:

Post a Comment